Friday, June 14, 2013

Review Superman Unchained #1


I'm a big Superman fan. Not apologizing for it, either. The first comic I ever picked up at the grocery store was a Superman book, and he has been a favorite ever since.

As much as I enjoy watching Supes leap tall buildings in a single bound, my favorite stories are always the ones where he has to use his brain or face a moral crisis and his powers are just tools to reach the solution. His quest to do the right thing often leads him to debate what the right thing really is for a given situation -- a trait that makes him one of the most human characters in the DC universe.

The big news in comics this week is the launch of Superman Unchained #1. Written by Scott Snyder with art by the incomparable Jim Lee, this book deserves all of the attention it's received. Snyder's story is a Batman-worthy mystery, and he does a terrific job with Clark Kent. Lee's art was crafted as if he had all year to work on the book and nothing else going on -- the detail will blow your mind. If you haven't read Superman lately, dive into this title head first. There isn't a better marriage of words and art on the shelves right now.

I reviewed the book for the folks at Broken Frontier, and you can read the review HERE. And I have a fangirl confession: the review went live on the BF site yesterday, and I tweeted about it (follow me @leaveittokaren). I tagged Snyder, Lee, BF, and DC Comics. Jim Lee read the review and replied, "Very kind."

That made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment