Sunday, July 28, 2013

Review Rocketeer Spirit Pulp Friction #1


If I could explain why I find pulp fiction and noir irresistible, they would probably lose their appeal.

I think mysteries fascinate me because as a kid the first characters I read in multiple volumes were classic mystery figures like Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, and Encyclopedia Brown. I even read the Bobbsey Twins books on the recommendation of our local librarian, but wow, the time period was so far removed from my own that I didn't really appreciate those books. When I was old enough to appreciate Agatha Christie and Ellery Queen, I went back and read Dashiell Hammett -- I was happily hooked on mysteries.

So when comics feature a good mystery or take on noir characteristics, I'm first in line to write their reviews. When IDW and DC announced a pulp character collaboration, I was very pleased to learn that The Rocketeer and The Spirit would be teaming up. But when I learned that Mark Waid would be writing the title, I knew he'd pull out all of the stops to get the period correct.

And he has! The Rocketeer/The Spirit: Pulp Friction #1 hit the comic shops this week, and it's the bee's knees. Paul Smith's art is a gorgeous homage to the styles of the Sunday funny papers, Dave Stevens, and Will Eisner. You can read my full review on the Broken Frontier site HERE. Seriously, if you love pulps this is the comic of the year for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment